Friday, February 15, 2008

Miami

Last week ( I guess it's been two weeks now) I drove up to Utah on Monday with the kids. We actually made it the whole 5 - 1/2 hours without stopping, which was a miracle to me! The kids did so great, thanks to our new DVD player. It was fun to be home for a day before Jane and I headed out to Miami...

Day 1 - The Endless Travels

Early Wednesday morning, Jane and I drove to SLC airport at 6:30 am to catch our flight to Miami. It was snowing, and after we boarded the plane, we sat there for three hours (without being able to get up) before we took off. Ugh! We were also starving, and by the time the food cart got to us, they were sold out of everything except bagels! So frustrating. So, we finally got to Atlanta and had missed our connection to Miami. They had rescheduled us on a flight the next morning, but we were determined to make it to Miami that night. We waited on stand-by for a few flights, and finally caught one a few hours later to Ft. Lauderdale. From there we shuttled to Miami airport, picked up our luggage, and headed to the hotel. We finally got there just before midnight Miami time.


Day 2 - Dinner for One
Thursday we slept in until 12:30! (That's only 9:30 Vegas time, so I didn't feel bad!) Jane felt totally sick when we got up, but I thought it was just a little morning sickness or something. I went down to the pool, ordered my virgin strawberry-pinacolada (the first of many!), and waited for her. It was a perfect day with clear, sunny skies. After a few hours, Jane finally came down, but only for about a half an hour. She was so sick and tired. She must have had the 24 hour flu or something. After she left, I went to the beach and swam by myself. I hadn't been to the beach since summer, and the water was perfect. I loved it.

Late afternoon I went back to the hotel and Jane was still feeling sick. I went and got her chicken soup at a deli, but she couldn't even eat that! Anyway, I was sitting there thinking, "I can either sit here in the hotel room, or I can just go out to dinner by myself." So I did! I had never gone to a restaurant by myself to eat, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Jane wanted me to stay close, so I just went to the restaurant on the patio of our hotel that overlooks the pool. Dinner was great, and right as I was finishing this band was setting up. They just looked like a few local kids, and I wasn't expecting to stay and listen, but then they played their first song, and they were AMAZING!! I ended up staying there until 11:30, talking to the band, and meeting some of the main singer's family who were sitting at the table right behind me. They've just been signed with a group that's part of Warner Brothers and have an EP coming out in March. You have to check it out: http://www.myspace.com/jacobjeffriesband. They don't normally play at hotels, they were just doing it as a favor to someone last minute. Lucky for me!

Day 3 - Just Another Day in Paradise
On Friday Jane felt much better - yay! We spent the day at the pool and the beach. We took our lunch to the beach, and all of these birds started coming towards us. While I was holding a sandwich one of the birds flew right by my hand, and it scared me so badly that I threw the sandwich in the sand. That night we went out to a restaurant called Nemos and shopped a little bit. On our way home we got mango & passion fruit gelato - to die for! (Don't ask me what I'm cracking up at in this pic!)

Day 4 - Good Day Sunshine

Saturday was forecasted to have scattered thunderstorms in the morning and afternoon. Luckily we woke up to sunny skies, and it stayed that way until around 4pm. It was so nice to have another day relaxing in the sun. We talked, laid out, swam, ate, walked on the path by the beach, and just had a great time. That night we were heading to the Ritz Carlton for dinner, but it started pouring rain, so we walked in the closest hotel to us, the Delano. Turns out it was the COOLEST place! The lobby was also a restaurant/bar, and everyone was totally done up. You seriously felt like celebrities were going to start walking by. We decided to stay there for dinner. The food was amazing, and it was so fun to people-watch.

When we got back to the hotel, we made some bows for our girls, watched a movie, and started packing.
Day 5 - I'm Leaving On a Jet Plane
Sunday we basically spent the day travelling home. We went to the airport early to try to get on an earlier flight, but everything was full. Dang it! We finally got home at 1:30pm.

It was so fun to see my kids the next morning. We spent the day hanging out and driving around Alpine/Highland looking for homes for Jane. Tuesday morning I packed everything up and headed back to Vegas. We made the whole drive without stopping again. It's been fun to be home for a few days...we're off to Disneyland again this week!

AND THANK YOU TO WHITNEY FOR SENDING JANE & I ON SUCH A FUN TRIP TOGETHER!!

14 comments:

Kristie Young said...

Judy,
Sounds like you two had a great time. What a fabulous gift for any husband to give...time to be alone. Disneyland sounds great too. Do you guys have annual passes? Just curious. Did you get my message about the music makers mishap. I am not doing such a good job of winning friends and influencing people. So embarrassed.

At any rate I Hope you had a great weekend.
Kristie

Jenson Family said...

You know why I am laughing right now! What a cute post, jude! You never told me the sandwich/bird story - that is hilarious!

Freer Family said...

So I'm glad it turned out to be fun after all the mishaps at the start of your trip. How fun to get away with just your sis!

Kelly said...

Jude, you have a knack for finding fun in any situation--seriously. Not that being alone without kids in a beautiful place can make having fun that hard...still. Cute post. Glad that you guys got to have such a great trip. Bummer that Jane was so sick, though. And sitting on a plane for 3 hours?!!! Uhhhgggg!

Brooke said...

Judy, I'm glad it was so much fun. That sandwich story is so funny. I'm glad that Jane felt better and was able to enjoy some of it! What a great week. I can just picture you sitting and enjoying the band that night.

Natalie said...

Sounds like an awesome trip! I'm glad Jane got better, too. Cute pics.

Lana said...

So much fun! I recognize the flowing curtains behind you in that hip hotel lobby.

Wendy said...

Oh my gosh - that sounds like so much fun! Sounds like you guys had a blast!

kimberlee shaffer said...

sounds like such a blast I am so jealous! you look gorgeous in every picture of course. We really need to get together soon!

Trish said...

Cute bows Judy. Miami looked like a blast. And it looks warm too.

Emily Brimhall said...

Looks like fun in the sun. I'm sure it was a much needed break for both of you.

Heather Harper said...

Oh how I miss Florida, not Miami, although it still looks heavenly. You always go on trips, it's no fair! Sometimes I forget what the world is like. :)
Thanks for your comment about church and how you think it's only getting worse. Jared and I are going to start a switch-a-roo thing, where he'll go to Priesthood and SS and then come get me and Ashton for Sacrament. Then next week, he'll stay home while Ashton naps, etc. Hopefully Braden will just do well in nursery and by the time Sacrament comes, we won't be so flustered if we have to take him out.
I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the time where we don't have callings. Since we aren't in a ward long enough, we don't expect to get called, so that's great for now!

jane said...

Judy woo hoo my first comment of course goes out to you! You look fabulous in your true religeon jeans, and it isn't trick photography either your legs are really that skinny!! Oh, I wish. Thanks for sparing everyone pics of me in my bathing suit.

The Banner Family said...

Judy...My dad is taking my sisters and I to Miami this weekend and we're staying at the Delano! It was good to read you had a fun experience there. Maybe I'll see J-Lo.