Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Little Surprise!

Well, I am months behind in my blog after a crazy few months. I'm hoping to get caught up in the next few weeks, since we have had a lot of fun changes, events, trips, etc. in the last few months.

First, a little news. In early June I went to the doctor about terrible headaches I had had for weeks. I get these horrible headaches every few years, and they last for weeks and then are gone. We finally figured out that they are called Cluster Headaches. The doctor asked if it felt like an ice pick stabbing in one spot of my head - and that is a perfect description! They typically hit me in the middle of the night, and they are very intense and painful. The first time I got one in this round, I woke up in so much pain I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. I started just taking some left over ibuprofin when they would hit and rubbing my head until they would go away. Some nights they hit twice. It was miserable. Anyway, I went to a new doctor to talk about what they were and to see what I could do to help and prevent them. Unfortunately, there isn't much known about what causes them or why they come back. Anyway, after a long time figuring out a combination of prescriptions that I can take as well as increasing magnesium and potassium in my diet we started talking about how hormone changes can cause them. After a little more discussion and a urine sample - the doctor informed me that I was pregnant! I was totally suprised, but really excited. I just couldn't stop laughing. Obviously we had to re-vamp the prescriptions he gave me, and the headaches went away within a few weeks anyway. I went home and told Lexi and Jackson, and then when Jeff got home I let Lexi tell him the good news. I'll never forget his response - a little shoulder shrug, and two words: "I'm indifferent!" I've given him a hard time about that one, but we are really excited.


**Feels funny writing about this now, since I am already five months along! A week and a half ago I had an ultrasound, and everything looks great. And as for the baby's sex: we know it's a girl or a boy! :) We've decided to wait this one out the old-fashioned way.

2 comments:

The Story of Life said...

Congratulations on the upcoming event!! That is really exciting! I am sorry to hear about the cluster headaches. Just recently on the news they were showing a guy with cluster headaches that was going in to have surgery done. The community raised a bunch of money for the family. I hope that the medicine will do the trick for you! Hope you are feeling good!!

Kim L. said...

Congrats! When I first read this, I thought you were already 5 months along before you found out. I almost hated you for a minute. It is my DREAM that one day I will find out I am pregnant... and already be past my 1st trimester. So far, my symptoms have made me PERFECTLY aware of my condition before I am even far enough along to test positive. So sorry about the headaches. That is never fun. But then again...not much about pregnancy is. I get terrible "morning" (but really all day) sickness the first 5 months and then PUPPS from 5 months until 3 months AFTER DELIVERY...the ITCHIEST rash that covers my whole core from my chest to my legs. It is like HELL on earth. What we do to get these little stinkers here! And they don't even appreciate it.\"/ Congrats!