Thursday, May 10, 2007

Bye Bye Cable

After years of debating back and forth, Jeff and I recently decided to turn off our cable service. It's been three weeks now with no TV in our house, and I have to say...I LOVE it! I wish we would have done it a long time ago. I'm not saying I'll never have TV again - in fact, Jeff came home last weekend and suggested we get DishTV or some other service that would give us 100 channels! His big selling point to me was that we would get BYUTV. Didn't work. I know there will be a big push to turn it on in the fall when football starts up, too, but hopefully we'll keep it off. I don't think there's anything wrong with TV itself, I just found it was all too easy to turn something on while I was feeding Jackson, or while I was eating lunch, or while we were sitting around in the evening. One show leads to the next and before you know it, you've wasted hours. Now we spend more time reading books, singing songs, playing in the back yard, etc. And in the evenings we go to the park or for a walk or run errands or work on stuff around the house. It's great. I feel like I get so much more done, which is good, because there's always something I need to get done!

It's funny to me how I got so sucked in to different shows and felt like I had to watch them each week to see what was happening. Reality shows: Who is getting kicked off of Idol? Who is still in the running towards becoming ANTM? Celebrity shows: Who was Paris spotted with? What was Brittany's latest breakdown? Who was sporting a baby bump? Drama: are we ever going to figure out what's going on on LOST? And the answer to all of those questions, I've realized, is WHO CARES???

3 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

Thats awesome that you had the will power to do that. I really respect that! I feel the same way about TV. I have my few shows that I just love, but the rest of TV could all be done away with as far as I'm conserned!

Natalie said...

We want to do this too, Judy. I agree that life is so much more productive, full, and even less stressful when time is spent wisely instead of in front of the TV.

Brooke said...

So true. It's always a bad sign when we start to associate our days of the week with certain shows. Thursdays=Office. Mondays=24. (Oh, and Mondays=FHE of course.) Good for you guys Judy.