Thursday, May 31, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

We had a really fun, full Memorial Day Weekend. Friday night we went camping with two other families in the ward. It was so fun to eat tin foil dinners and smores and to sit around the fire talking until late at night. As we were headed to our tent around 1 am Jeff said, "This has been so fun. We'll have to camp a lot this summer." I agreed.

Well, we had spoken a little too soon, because the next few hours were absolutely miserable!! Jackson and Lexi kept waking up. Every time Jackson woke up, I would have to wiggle my way out of my sleeping bag (Note: there is no way to do this quietly!), grab Jackson, settle back into my sleeping bag with him, and then wiggle back out to put him down once he was sleeping. I must have done that five times in the first two hours. And I swear as soon as I would settle back into my bag and almost fall back to sleep, Lexi would sit up and say, "mom? mom?" I would tell her to lie down and go back to sleep, but she would come lay right by me, then in my bag, then on top of me...changing positions about every 30 seconds. A few hours into the madness, I thought, "the next time one of the kids wakes up, I am going to pack them up and take them home!" Somehow we all finally fell asleep for a few short hours.




Despite the lack of sleep, Lexi did not sit still all morning. She is our little adventurer. And Jackson was content to sit in his chair. (I promise I do still hold him...sometimes! :))


As soon as we got home we put the camping gear away, bathed the kids, cleaned up, threw everything we had worn in the wash and got ready for Jeff's parents and niece to come visit. We spent the afternoon visiting the Hoover Dam. The dam tour was pretty cool. Then we went on the observation deck to take some pictures. My fear of heights + a really low railing + the straight concrete drop off for hundreds of feet below+ mommy danger instincts (you know, how every place you go or every situation you're in, you automatically envision the worst possible things that could happen to your child while you're there) = a very nervous/uncomfortable few minutes for me! I was very relieved once we all went back inside.

The Tews invited us and a bunch of families over for a pool party/BBQ on Monday. We were there all day. It was a lot of fun. So...we had a great weekend, but it was so exhausting that I am still trying to recover from it!




4 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

I can't beleive how big Lexi is! I'm sorry about the terrible night sleep. I had a similar experience last night with Olivia. No fun!

Natalie said...

Wow, what a fun and full weekend! I hear you about camping. Parts of it are so fun and parts of it are so exhausting. My favorite part about it is the shower after I get home! I also agree with you about the mommy danger instincts. Cute picture of the visit to the Hoover Dam. And, I'm jealous you got to spend time with the Tew's for a BBQ. How fun to be able to live close to them!

Kelly said...

Well, Jude, we'll have lots of fun camping stories to share when we get together this summer. I'll have to tell you about the trip where (after it was over) I swore that I'd sell all of our camping gear at a garage sale so that I could never allow Jared to talk me into camping again. Of course, I never did sell it, and we were camping again a few months later. Oh, well, those are the stories that live on in family lore.

Brooke said...

Judy, what a long night! And especially funny right after Jeff said how well things were going. I love that chair of Jackson's. What a great buy.

It is going to be so fun to see Lexi so grown up in CA. I think all of these little girls are going to have fun playing together and creating havoc!