Sunday, May 4, 2008

Zion National Park

This weekend we went to Zion National Park to camp/hike with our friends, The Jensons. We got there Friday afternoon (after a quick stop at the St. George Outlets!) and set up camp. We camped at the Zion River Resort, which was actually pretty nice. They had nice clean bathrooms and showers, a pool hot/tub, and our camping spot was right along the river (not to be confused with the spot by the highway - inside joke)!

Friday night we had tinfoil dinners and smores and just hung out by the fire. It got pretty cold that night, and the zipper on my sleeping bag was broken. I was fine until Jackson kept waking up. Ugh! I would move around, and he would finally go back to sleep cuddled in my arms. Only problem was that my sleeping bag would have moved off of me by that point, so I was cold, but I didn't want to move and wake him up. Oh, the sacrifice of mothers! haha Needless to say, I did not sleep well.


Saturday we went to Zions. We did the two mile Riverside Walk. Leslie made these cute little explorer packs for the girls that they carried with them. It was the perfect hike for kids. It's paved and is right along the river the whole time. We saw frogs, chipmunks, and even a long, skinny snake. At the end of the trail there's a nice sandy spot where you can go and play in the river.

The kids got nice and messy!
We got ice cream at the Lodge then went back to our campground. Lexi and I took a quick nap, and then we met everyone at the pool. After we made dinner, we put a movie on for the kids on our tiny portable DVD player.

And then the adults got to play cards!
Jeff found a new game for Jackson!
We got back today and after scrubbing ourselves clean, we all napped for hours. Then we cleaned, unpacked, and I think I've done about six or seven loads of laundry to remove the campfire smell from everything. It was a great weekend, but camping is just a ton of work with kids. Next time we're getting a hotel!

4 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

What a fun trip!Ok it might just be my computer, but I can't read your words. They turn up white. Is it just my computer? I'de love to read about your trip! Looks like fun!

Brooke said...

Wow Judy. Ambitious! Lexi looks so cute and dirty. I'm glad it was a great trip.

Tammy said...

Sounds like so much fun! We haven't been camping since september and I am dying to go. Your kiddies area so stinkin' cute!

Emily Brimhall said...

amen sista about the hotel thing. We tried camping last year and I ended up coming home so exausted from all the work. Remember how we'd jump at the chance to go camping? Once our kids get older I'm sure it will be fun again.